Castlefields Mill: Origins

Image: Print of the Castlefields works designed built by Thomas and Benjamin Benyon and designed by Charles Bage. No date.

Image from: Shropshire Archives

In 1804 following the end of the partnership with John Marshall of Leeds, Thomas and Benjamin Benyon, together with Charles Bage built a new mill at Castlefields, Shrewsbury about 800 yards from the Ditherington Mill and between the River Severn and the Shrewsbury Canal. Once again Bage designed the building. It was a five-storey, iron-framed construction with a floor area of 3,446 square metres and included two steam engines to power machines to produce linen thread.


Continue browsing this section

4923-0Charles Bage, the Flax Industry and Shrewsbury’s Iron-Framed Mills 1311-0Shrewsbury’s Industrial Context 1308-0The Location of Ditherington Mill 5123-0Bill for the supply of liquor from Charles Bage to Lord Clive 1792 1328-0Charles Bage and Iron Construction 4664-0Charles Bage: Business and Local Affairs 521-0Thomas and Benjamin Benyon 2431-0John Marshall 2432-0Growing and Preparing Flax 2440-0Processing and Spinning Flax 1316-0Ditherington Flax Mill 2230-0Ditherington Mill: Steam Power 2231-0Ditherington Mill: Steam Power 1341-0Castlefields Mill: Origins 2238-1Castlefields Mill: Steam Power 1312-0Castlefields Mill: the Flax Warehouse 2247-0Castlefields Mill: Gas Lighting 2251-0Castlefields Mill: Gas Lighting 5124-0Castlefields Mill: Sale and Demolition 5125-0Kingsland Mill