Various Buildings at Chances Glassworks
Image: The photo was probably taken in 1945 just before demolition commenced, and is the view from the upper window of the Old Hall. It shows a general view of “the plain” with railway trucks filled with cullet. Chimneys: left to right: number 10, south side boilers, number 5, number 22 and 23 (one chimney). The tall building half right is the Extra White warehouse and the lower building on the right was originally constructed in the 19th century to house the machines for grinding and polishing “patent plate” glass.
Image from: Chance Brothers Glassworks, Smethwick Slides. Broadfield House Glass Museum, Kingswinford, Dudley (Slide and Transcript no 36 by Arthur Reeves).« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »