The Last Cone No 12 built at Chance Brothers, Smethwick
Image: Photo taken during demolition in 1945-1946 of numbers 3, 8 and 12 glasshouses. It shows the partially demolished cone of number 12 glasshouse which was built in 1852-1854. It does not have the same construction design as the “Wordsley” cone. The original coal fired furnace was immediately beneath the cone. The glassmakers working away from the cone did not contract the bad effects of dust and smuts as under the “Wordsley” cone. This was the last cone built at Chance Brothers.
Image from: Chance Brothers Glassworks, Smethwick Slides. Broadfield House Glass Museum, Kingswinford, Dudley (Slide and Transcript no 24 by Arthur Reeves).« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »