South West View of Dudley Priory in Stafford
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
To the Right Honourable WILLIAM Lord Dudley & Ward. Baron of Birmingham in ye County of Warwick &c.
Owner of these Remains.
This Prospect is humbly Inscribed by;
Yr: Lordships Obedient Servts. Saml. & Nathl. Buck.
THIS PRIORY of the Cluniack order Subordinate to the Abby of Wenlock was founded in the Reign of K. Hen. IInd by Gervaise de Paganel or Pagnel to the Honour of St. James according to the intention of Ralph his Father: Gervaise dying without Issue his sister Married John de Somery, by wch means that Family became Patrons of it. Roger Bishop of Coventry and Litchfield granted a remission of 40 days Pennance to those who being truly contrite & confest should say the Lords Prayer & Salutation of the Blessed Virgin for the Soul of Roger de Somery (grandson of John) & for all the faithfull buried here. Issue male failing again it came by marriage to John de Sutton & on ye like failure it descended with ye Castle to the Lds. Dudley &c. there have been several fine Monuments of the Families of Somery & Sutton found here.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculpt. 1731.« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »