North West View of Great Malvern Abbey in Worcester
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
MALVERN-MAGNA, ABBY, was in the Saxons times an Hermitage of Urso d’Abitot. In the 18th K. Willm. 1st it was made a Priory of Benedictines by the Hermit Aldwin who gave it large endowments to which K. Hen. 1st. added. Richard Ld. Clifford was a great Benefactor to it as were also K. Hen. IIId. K. Edn. 1st. Gilbert Earl of Glocester, Osborn & Richard de Pontibus, and in process of time from a Cell to ye Abby of Westminster, it became a free Abby. Thos. Savage Esqr. Is ye present Proprietor: It was valued at ye Dissolution £308. 1s. 5d Dugd’. £375. 0s. 6d. Speed.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculpt. 1731.« Previous in this section