East View of Tutbury Castle in Stafford
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
To the most Noble WILLIAM Duke & Earl of Devonshire, Marquess of Hartington, Baron Cavendish of Hardwick, Lord Lieutenant & Custos Rotulorum of the County of Derby.
This Prospect is Humbly Inscribed by;
May it please Yr: Grace
Yr: Graces most Dutiful & most Obedient Servts. Saml. & Nathl. Buck.
TUTBURY or STUKESBURY CASTLE was given by K. Wm. 1st. to Henry Earl of Ferrarys who built a Priory contiguous to it in wch he was buried; but it pass’d by a forfeiture to the Crown from this family, who were then Earls of Derby, to Edmund 2d son of K. Hen. IIId. And by a Daughter of his Family, to John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster 3. son of K. Edw. IIId who repair’d the Castle and new built ye Gate thereof. From it, there is a very extensive & beautiful Prospect of a fine Country, it’s Situation being on a rocky Hill in wch. is an Alabaster Quarry. It is at present in ye Noble Family of Cavendish; the Duke of Devonshire being the present Lord thereof.
1. The Priory. 2. Duns Cross Elm. 3. Uttoxeter. 4. Dubridge 5. Sydbury. 6. Scrapton.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculpt. 1731.Next in this section »