North West View of Ludlow Castle in Salop
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
THIS CASTLE stands on a rock in the North West Angle of the Town on the River Teme. It was built by Roger de Montgomery E. of Shrewsbury and by whose Son Robt de Belesme it was forfeited to K: Hen: 1st. Gervais de Paganel held it out for ye Empress Maud against K. Stephen who took it by assault. K. Hen II: gave it to Fulk Fitz Warine call’d also de Dinan, from this town, it being one of ye ancient brittish names of Ludlow: in K. John’s reign Philip de Albiny was Governour of it. It was afterward in ye Lacies of Ireland & for want of male issue went by marriage to ye Mortimers Earls of March & by ye like means from them into ye Crown again. It is yet a Noble Structure, within its walls is a Palace where ye Lords Presidents under ye Princes of Wales us’d to lodge when they held their Courts of Marches. It appertains to ye Principality of Wales and therefore His Royal Highness PRINCE FREDERICK is the present Lord thereof.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculp. 1732« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »