North West View of Maxtoke Priory in Warwickshire
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
To the Rt. Honble. EDWARD Lord LEIGH of Stonely and Barronet;
Owner of these Remains.
This Prospect is humbly Inscribed by Your Lordships, Obedt. Servts. S & N Buck.
THIS Priory of Black Canons was founded to the Honour of the holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, St. Michael and all Saints, by Wm. Clinton Earl of Huntingdon, Anno. 1337. He appointed several ordinances relating to their Habit, The Election of a Prior, The order of the house, the quality and number of Canons, with many other injunctions; all which were confirm’d by Roger Bp’ of Coventry & Lichfield, King Ednd. III, granted Licences to these Canons to exchange their Mannor at Shustoke for certain Lands in Maxstoke. Valued at the dissolution £87. 12s. 3½ d. Dug. £120. 11s. 8d. Speeds.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculp. 1729« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »