North West View of Shrewsbury Castle in Salop
Source: Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, Part 2, 1726-1739 (nd), Arts, Languages and Literature, Birmingham Central Library.
Text: Taken from the original source
THIS CASTLE was built about the Year 1083 by Roger Montgomery Principal Captain, Friend and Kinsman of Wm. Duke of Normandy. After the Conquest he, (being then King,) gave this Town to Roger and made him Earl of Shrewsbury &c. who finding it a place of consequence, fortify’d the Town. The Castle is on Rock upon the neck of Land where the Severn runs on each side; for this River almost encompasses that Town. Wm. Fitz Allan Son of Hatbald defended this Castle for the Empress Maud against K. Stephen who took it by assault: but Hen. IId: her Son restored Allan to his Honours and Estates.
The present Owner is the Earl of Bradford.
S & N Buck Delin. et. Sculpt. 1731.« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »