Signet Matrix: Seal Matrix with inscription
A circular seal matrix of clear white glass, bearing the inscription ‘ALLS WELL’, and probably produced c 1800.
Seal matrices also known as signet matrices were used to impress their owner’s mark into wax on documents during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Many were made of moulded translucent glass. Little is known of their manufacture. They seem to have been produced for personal rather than commercial use. Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery acquired a collection of twenty-seven seal matrices in 1934. This is one of the items.« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »