Signet Matrix: Seal Matrix featuring Dog next to tomb, with inscription
A rectangular mauve glass seal matrix, created c 1800, with a design of a dog near a tombstone. There are inscriptions both above and on the tombstone.
Seal matrices also known as signet matrices were used to impress their owner’s mark into wax on documents during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Many were made of moulded translucent glass. Little is known of their manufacture. They seem to have been produced for personal rather than commercial use. Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery acquired a collection of twenty-seven seal matrices in 1934. This is one of the items.« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »