Japanners in Birmingham and a View of the Park Glass House
There are two parts to the advertisement. A scroll in the top half lists ten japanners, the most famous is Henry Clay who established the Birmingham decorative papier-mâché industry in the 18th century. The scroll rests upon an artist’s easel. In the foreground a cherub is painting a head, using a classical bust as a model while another cherub observes his work. They are located in a wooded landscape with, what appears to be a portion of a neo-classical building, probably St Philip’s Church in the background.
The second image is a view of the Park Glass House in Birmingham Heath, formerly belonging to John Hawker, but as from the date of publication (1808), belonging to Biddle and Lloyd. The engraving presents the Glass House in a rural context with trees close to the buildings and a field in the foreground. In the background, Birmingham’s industrial landscape – smoking kilns and a canal – encroaches on the scene. A horse-drawn carriage travels towards the town along the road which passes in front of the Glass House.« Previous in this sectionNext in this section »